Friday, February 1, 2013

Honors Program = Magic

By Fern Whyte

A wave of disappointment washed over me when I got my paper back. I had gotten used to getting A’s and was totally unprepared for this latest grade of A-minus. I couldn't wait for class to end so that I could approach the professor about this tragedy. A-Minus, I just hate them.

As my classmates rushed to exit the lecture room, I gingerly made my way between rows of chairs to speak with the professor who was still packing her stuff. “I don’t understand how I got an A-, this is an A paper,” I whined. Totally disregarding the fact that blatantly ignored the professor’s recommendation for changes to an earlier draft, I still thought this was A-work. We argued about the grade for a few minutes, she was kind, but firm “no grade change.” As I turned away in a disappointment, she said, “you know what, it’s great that you are so ambitious. Keep it up. It’s a good thing.”

Outside the room, curious classmates, who I thought were long gone, were waiting to see what the fuss was all about. “What happened, did you get a C? I was incredulous! “A ‘C,’ are you crazy? I got an A-minus! “The four girls looked at each other and started laughing. One girl wanted to know if I was crazy. “Can you believe her, she got and A-minus and she’s complaining, another derided” “I wish that was me,” one chirped. “A-minus!” someone chimed, as they turned and laughingly walked away.” I wasn't going to get any sympathy today, I was upset.

Fast forward two semesters; and I have been invited by the Honor Program to be a Presidential Honors Scholar for the 2012/2013 academic year. As an honors student, we have access to courses dipped in magical potions called all-honors classes. I’m in love. All honors classes are filled with students who are even more ambitious than I am. Therefore, instead of feeling like I am some geeky freak, I now have to bring my A-game to keep up. Honors classes are a meeting of minds, great minds that keep ‘whirring’ even five minutes after classes should have ended – and it is a beautiful thing!

 Before honors classes, I had a feeling that I was just going with the flow. But these classes forced me to challenge myself, encouraged me to think independently, question concepts and come to exciting conclusion. Last semester I took the plunge and signed up for two all-honors classes, for a third class I signed an honors contract with the Professor. I ended up with an A+ (love those), an A, and an A-minus (yes the dreaded A-).

1 comment:

  1. Inspiring writings and I greatly admired what you have to say , I hope you continue to provide new ideas for us all and greetings success always for you..Keep update more information..
    Study in USA Consultants in Chennai
    Overseas Education Consultants in Chennai
    Australia education Consultants in Chennai

    ReplyDelete